RCD intermittent tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - I've now read a lot on this forum about RCD nuisance tripping, some fantastic responses (so here's hoping!)

Here goes:

10 year old house, new extension last year, single RCD board (not a split board), lots of new wiring (distribution box moved etc), new boiler and valve heads (not new pump though) no problems all fine (finished last July). RCD never ever tripped except when a filament bulb blows.

But ... had outside wiring for lights fitted two weeks ago (wiring was in but not connected) and from the minute the guys tested the circuits it started tripping all the time.

So ...

Found that the RCD was "sensitive", the boiler firing would trip it every time and it tripped on 1/2 current during tests so changed the RCD. It's a 30ms type.

Still tripped randomly day and night (1-2 times a day).

New circuit tested fine though (no earth leaks etc).

Disconneted whole new outside circuit (L, N and E) from ring - still trips ... mmm, now what?

2 days ago unplugged all I could and it hasn't tripped since (freezer, boiler, fridge still on though) although this might not be long enough to prove anything.

And therefore ...

I've look at what the guys did and it looks top class (I used to be an electronics engineer so sort of know what I'm looking at).

So I concluded either: 1) the sparks disturbed something (looked closely around where they worked, pretty simple installation, no cable nicks/nails etc.) or 2) their testing fried something it shouldn't.

Could number 2 actually happen? Computers were plugged in but not switched on when they ran the tests (everything works OK though).

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Did you test the RCD in isolation?

Testing with wiring &/or appliances in circuit may give false readings.

Disconnect the neutral feed to the busbar & switch off all the breakers, then test just the outgoing terminals of the RCD on their own.

Do you still get 1/2 x tripping?

To find fault you need an IR tester. Disconnect everything from the ring final circuits. Then meg the circuit. I use method 2 - putting L & N together & megging against earth. You need 2 MegOhgm minimum result.

Hi spark ...

I don't have an IR tester, might have to get one, got a few multimeters but they dont pump out any volts to do IR testing.

Have you ever come across testing damaging equipment before? I'm not going to sue anyone but it might help explain what happend - coz I can't fathom how putting in the circuit - then totally disconnecting it - can still lead to tripping where it was perfect before - or is it just a coincidence???

Cheers

Sponsored Links
And now ...

My wife (cleverly!) realised we have a service contract for the electrics with BG - she called them in today!

He tested the RCD = fine, but testing the board found a neutral-earth short (not bad enough to trip but not good either) - he's coming in tomorrow to get to the root of the problem.

I'll keep you posted (or ask for more help).

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back