RCD keeps tripping on a socket circuit!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i flip on the ground sockets the RCD keep flipping off, i've unplugged and switched off everything i can find on the ground floor to no avail. the boiler is the only other thing which i can't reach very well. is there any kind of troubleshooting i can do?
the night it went off there was really bad rain, and i thought that the (two) outside sockets could be to blame, but i think they are on the basement sockets circuit.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Does the RCD feed any other circuits? Think about outside lighting.

I think you need an electrician with an "Insulation Resistance Tester" AKA Megger to check it out properly.

Pay special attention to any place where water and electricity could meet.
Those outside sockets/lighting
Boiler/central heating controls/pumps/valves
Dishwasher, washing machines, etc

Hot tub, sauna, Jacuzzi bath,

You get the idea.....

Sponsored Links
I would also be making sure the outside sockets are definitely on the basement circuit, isolate the faulty circuit then go test if the outside sockets are working

A very low impedance fault Neutral to Earth on the basement circuit ( outside sockets flooded ) could be the reason the RCD trips when there is a load on any other circuit protected by that RCD. You mention you cannot isolate the boiler supply (*), that small load and possible high inrush current at switch on may be enough of a load for the basement circuit fault to trip the RCD.

(*) not good, there should be an easy to access isolator for the boiler

As bernardgreen shows with the diagram there can be a problem with the neutral. Fuse connection units and switches on sockets should disconnect both the line and neutral but this is not always the case.

I was reminded the other day how the 9 volt battery in a multi-meter will often not show up a fault. It required the 500 volt used in the insulation tester to highlight the faults and so likely it's cheaper to get an electrician to test than buy a meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back