Split-load Switch / RCD flipping down repeatedly

I think you missed a trick when the spark was with you not to properly test the RCD's

Sponsored Links
I have no idea what that even entails, though, so how can I ask for it to be done?

When the “spark” fitted the RCBO he would have conducted some tests and given you a certificate . This would have included RCD tests

Given they were doing this to try and resolve an existing problem, I’m surprised that they didn’t test the existing RCDs

Could you post a photo of your CU ?

Why write spark in quotes like that? ;) He is from Checkatrade with 31 x 10 rated reviews. He was very clear with me - in writing - that putting the boiler on a RCBO was not a guarantee the problem would be resolved. I'll quote - "I can get an RCBO for£40 and I'd charge £70 to fit but obviously can't guarantee it will solve the problem." - but I still wanted to go ahead as I wanted to rule-in or rule-out the boiler as I figured that some kind of boiler issue would be my biggest headache. Even now, with the issue ongoing, I'm thinking the money was well spent to have the boiler on a RCBO - so he wasn't a con artist.

If you mean I should have just had him there investigating the issue to its conclusion, then maybe you're right... but he was just driving by the area (I'd contacted him before the Easter break to check availability), I was skiving from work and I didn't fancy an open-ended bill. That's why I said he was there just to do the RCBO. I've still got his details, obviously and I've already let him know it has tripped after the work.

Let's see if this picture goes in... circa 2010... no issues until earlier this month.

Consumer Unit (2024-04).jpg

Sponsored Links
Certificate ? And don’t give him a high rating as he’s fitted a 3rd party RCBO to the Wylex board which isn’t ideal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back