RCD keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, our socket circuits keep tripping, the actual switches for the sockets don't trip it is always the RCD, I have removed all the plugs from the wall and plugged them back in one at once and it is a number of things that trip it, the only pattern is the higher draw items.

I have attached a picture for ref

Any help please folks? :D

Sponsored Links
Did this start recently? How long did you have it before without a problem?

Hello,

Yes started yesterday, we thought it was the dryer at 1st, it's has been ok for the past 6 months since we moved in.

Sponsored Links
So there is not a trend, with regards a certain appliance is on load when the RCD trips?
Have you had any moisture problems?

The actual fault may not be on the circuit supplying the load that trips the RCD.

From your picture I can see sockets, sockets and cooker on the RCD, are there any other circuits not in the picture ?

My first thoughts would be a Neutral to Earth fault in an element in the cooker which is diverting neutral current from other loads away from the RCD sensor.

In this weather outside lights can become damp and electrically leaky and if running from a socket circuit can divert enough neutral current from an appliance on the same ring.

Hiya guys,

It seems I can plug in a certain amount of small items on the socket circuits before it trips, at the moment I have a small telli on and some stuff charging, anything over this and it trips regardless of what the item is, the fridge, big telli etc.

What you see in the picture is all the circuits we have, the lights are fine and never tripped, they are on the right hand side with the smoke alarm, the stuff on the left is 2 socket circuits and the cooker, the cooker is on but not operating.

We have no outside sockets and only one light but as I said before the lights have never gone off, when it trips it just turns the socket/cooker side RCD off.

Hope this explains :)

No moisture issues as I know of, there is a bit of snow down and it is colder than usual, I haven't smelled any burning. the only thing I noticed was the plug for the dryer was warm when it 1st tripped but it trips without the dryer connected now.

The box in the picture is in the garage, there is no heating in there but it is pretty well insulated. The house is detached 1996 build.

Thanks for your replies so far guys.

Just a quick question, can stuff on the right side make the RCD trip?

I have isolated the cooker before but still trips

Not sure I understand sorry, both poles?
You need to disconnect both live and neutral, so the cooker should have nearby a double pole isolator switch.
Maybe like this
This will open both poles, the MCB will only open the live.
This could also be true of plugged in appliances, even if the switch is open the plug will need removing from the socket outlet, as not all socket outlets are double pole and a permanent neutral contact is possible to earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back