RCD Nuisance tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The inlaws have a secondary RCD protected 1 way board that feeds their conservatory,small kitchen and garage supply, but the 40A 30mA RCD is randomly tripping out usually overnight with little load.

I have had a quick look around, and removed a couple of covers but all "seems" in order, My first thought is to replace the RCD breaker itself to see if that cures the issue. Im quite confident with house wiring, and working safely with it, but im no professional in terms of experience in finding faults like this. Have you expert chaps got any advice on the best way to pinpoint the problem ?

I have isolated (unplugged) as many items such as lighting, transformers and celing fans etc etc to see how it goes, but washers,freezer etc etc remain connected for obvious reasons. There are also two florescant fittings in the garage that have battery back-up, could the battery/charging system be failing ?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
the 40A 30mA RCD is randomly tripping out usually overnight with little load.

RCDs do not trip because of the load. They trip usually because of an earth fault.
Do not be fooled by the 40amp detail, it is just telling you the maximum load that the contacts of the RCD can handle. It will not trip because the load is more than 40amps!

My first thought is to replace the RCD breaker itself to see if that cures the issue. Im quite confident with house wiring, and working safely with it, but im no professional in terms of experience in finding faults like this.

So stop thinking about changing the RCD. It is a fault with soemthing connected to the RCD, or the wiring. The first thing to look at is anything outside that is fed from the conservatory.
Outside lights, sockets, pond pump. stuff like that. To sort this out you would really need an Insulation Resistance Tester.

A 40A 30mA RCD.

I assume this is an RCCB. Of course, there is a chance this could be an RCBO I suppose.

Sponsored Links
Yes sorry its a RCCB, Its a make I havent seen before, called Aoelec, the A is a Delta symbol. A single 20A CB feeds the kitchen/cons/garage hence my mentioning the load, I do realise that RCD's trip for inbalance etc and not load.
As it was my first brief look, I started with the garage wiring and albeit a breif look, I could see nothing standing out.
The garage is fed via a 7 core SWA to the sockets and a fuse switched spur for the lighting. I do intend to disconnect the SWA to see if we can narrow it down by meggaring the separate areas so to speak......Thanks for the replies chaps

Washing machines are, in fact, one of the most likely items to cause RCD tripping - electricity and water in the same box, all it takes is a little leak.

Can't you unplug the washer overnight and see what happens?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back