RCD providing protection for indirect and direct contact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please give your advice based on 16th edition only

Scenario 1
OK so your on a 4th floor. Place has its own distribution board with RCD. You are doing a PIR. There is no likely hood that anyone is going to plug in a portable appliance for use outside the equipotential zone.

Q1. So the test is for direct contact including the 5x test. When filling in your form you tick 'Presence of RCD for supplementary protection' in the section titled 'Protection against direct contact' and put n/a against ''presence of residual current devices' in the section titled 'Protection against Indirect Contact'.?

Scenario 2
You're in a house and the and the ground floor sockets have RCD protection for portable equipment outside the EZ. You test the sockets but don't need to do the 5x test. You fill in your form in the opposite way to scenario 1.

Sorry about this but am having a mad moment about something that I have always understood clearly, and the more I think about it the more I am confusing myself

Sponsored Links
Firstly you are not allowed to use an RCD as a sole measure of protection against direct contact i.e. someone coming into contact with a live conductor. It may only be used as a supplementary measure.

Q1, what is the reason for the RCD being there? Sockets in a shower room etc? EFLI issue - the RCD being used to provide protection against indirect contact (for ADS)? Personally I'd be tempted to do all the tests (albeit if it is for indirect contact protection then the 5x is not really necessary) and tick them both.

Q2, you must do the 5x test as you are checking it for supplementary protection against direct contact i.e. cutting through the lawn mower cable and touching a live wire.

Thanks spark123 for taking the time to answer. The way you have answered the Q's and the Questions you asked have made things clear in my mind. Then I walk away from the comp and get confused again so I have to go back and re-read. FFS what is up with me today :oops: !!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back