RCD Question for a beginner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys looking for a bit of advice. I've just moved into a new house and it has a split load board. The problem is the fridge keeps tripping the RCD side of the board. I was thinking of buying an RCD plugtop and plug into the existing socket, would this solve my problem?

Sponsored Links
NO, due to the fact the socket you are pluging into will still be on the rcd protected side of the CU.

You need to get your fridge looked at if this is the only thing that trips the CU RCD.

iirc this is generally a motor issue carbon from the brushes builds up inside the motor increasing leakage (the motor body is generally earthed)

try vacuming all the gunk out of the motor (preferally with it running) and see if that makes a difference failing that its either a new motor or dismantling the motor to clean it properly.

Sponsored Links
You could change the fridge socket to a FCU and wire it seperately back to the consumer unit and connect to the non rcd side. Obviously depends on how much work involved and of course if you are compitent to do so.

plugwash said:
iirc this is generally a motor issue carbon from the brushes builds up inside the motor increasing leakage (the motor body is generally earthed)

try vacuming all the gunk out of the motor (preferally with it running) and see if that makes a difference failing that its either a new motor or dismantling the motor to clean it properly.

Plug, with respect mate, that is one of the most useless bits of information I have seen posted here in a while. The "motor" in a fridge is brushless for a start, and as they are hemetically sealed into the rest of the compressor he has more chance of a blow job from Nicole Kidman that actullay hoovering out his fridge motor.

Fridges are nororious for tripping RCD's rated at less that 100mA, the reason being is two fold, firstly they leak current to Earth like a tap, usually below the threshold, however on startup the sudden inrush coupled to the leakage generally imbalances the RCD, thus causing the electronics in the RCD to trip it.

Many of the modern "Frost Free" freezers and fridges do not suffer this problem as they contain more efficient and higher quality components, generally, but even the arcing in a mechanical stat in a fridge can cause nuisance tripping.

The best solution is to install a new RCD to the Consumer unit that has a time delay built in and also rated at 100mA instead of the generic 30mA. This will solve the issue and still give the required protection and disconnection times.

FWL_Engineer said:
The best solution is to install a new RCD to the Consumer unit that has a time delay built in and also rated at 100mA instead of the generic 30mA. This will solve the issue and still give the required protection and disconnection times.

But if the socket is on the ground floor it will need protection by a 30m/A rcd.

FWL_Engineer said:
he has more chance of a blow job from Nicole Kidman that actullay hoovering out his fridge motor.

I just smashed my fridge motor with a sledge hammer and hoovered it out. Spotless it is, now where's Nicole???

has said:
FWL_Engineer said:

But if the socket is on the ground floor it will need protection by a 30m/A rcd.

Now explain your post in correct terms please.

FWL_Engineer said:
has said:
FWL_Engineer said:

Now explain your post in correct terms please.

Just for you then
471-16-01
A socket outlet rated at 32 A or less which may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors shall be provided with supplementary protection to reduce the risk associated with direct contact by means of a residual current device having the characteristics specified in regulation 412-06-02 (11)
or in brief 30m/A rcd.

OK so you can read, now please specify the regulation that states all sockets need this level pf protection, they do not and a Reg does not exist to this effect, this is why companies such as MK make sockets with built in RCD protection to meet the requirments of the Regs in this case.

Please remember, The Regs are a Guide only, they are not hard and fast rules, they need to be applied with intelligence, experience and knowledge of the requirementrs of the installation and the Regs.

To follow blindly is foolish.

FWL_Engineer said:
OK so you can read, now please specify the regulation that states all sockets need this level pf protection, they do not and a Reg does not exist to this effect, this is why companies such as MK make sockets with built in RCD protection to meet the requirments of the Regs in this case.

Please remember, The Regs are a Guide only, they are not hard and fast rules, they need to be applied with intelligence, experience and knowledge of the requirementrs of the installation and the Regs.

To follow blindly is foolish.

This started with Colin asking for advice!
I have tried to advise him sensibly as to how to avoid the nuisance tripping with his fridge whilst avoiding being ticked off by someone who seems to enjoy belittling people. Could you elaborate on how he can meet the required disconnection times as per your previous advice. Mind you as a newcomer to this site hes probably gone back to screwfix forum for some real abuse.

has, the solution should be easy from my posts, and your comments about belittleing people are bit silly to be honest as that is not my intent at all, I was simply emphasising a point.

If he installed a new 100mA Time Delayed RCD as his split load secondary Main switch in place of the existing unit, this would remove the problem of nuisance tripping, however if he has a socket that he uses to supply a lawnmower or other external use, then he can simply change the faceplate for one incorporating a 30mA RCD to provide the level of protection required by BS7671.

Job Done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back