RCD

When I was still an apprentice, I can remember an RCD nuisence tripping during the night - every night.

To cut a huge fault finding story short......

It was due to an overhead neutral being lost on a PME supply in the adjoining property. The storage heater load travelling down the main bond to the lead water pipe(I guess), and some of this current travelling out via the cutout in the other house via a N to E fault, tripping the RCD (they where TT). It was fine during the day, as the load next door was low, so only a tiny amount circulated through the property.

Sponsored Links
It was easy to find. I still have some decorating work and i am not using circuit upstairs. One of the sockets was off and N was touching E and i mean they were touching each other.
If it was somewere under floor and i could not see the fault is it possible to find the fault without Insulation Tester ? (Insulation Tester is expensive to buy for person who may need it once or twice)
Thank you

Sponsored Links
romchik said:
I do not have insulation tester
You rewired your house and yet you don't have one of these?

romchik said:
(Insulation Tester is expensive to buy for person who may need it once or twice)
Less than the saving you made by doing your own rewire...

Hello mister Ban.
Firstly i did not rewire my house myself.
Secondly i do not think anyone is interesting in your sarcastic remarks....

BAS, he had told us that already.

Just an ordinary multimeter should be able to detect a dead short between any two conductors. Preferably one which can read to 0.01 ohm then you can accurately check circuit resistance not just continuity.
The fancy meters work at high voltage which might show up faults an ordinary meter will miss.

romchik said:
Hello mister Ban.
Firstly i did not rewire my house myself.
My apologies, I thought you did.
Secondly i do not think anyone is interesting in your sarcastic remarks....
Wasn't sarcasm - it was genuine - if you had done your own wiring you would have saved more than enough to pay for test equipment.

Damocles said:
BAS, he had told us that already.
So he did. :oops:

Completely missed that.
smack.gif

Apologies to all for going by my faulty memory..
tontopallus.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back