RCD Question for a beginner

FWL_Engineer said:
has, the solution should be easy from my posts, and your comments about belittleing people are bit silly to be honest as that is not my intent at all, I was simply emphasising a point.

If he installed a new 100mA Time Delayed RCD as his split load secondary Main switch in place of the existing unit, this would remove the problem of nuisance tripping, however if he has a socket that he uses to supply a lawnmower or other external use, then he can simply change the faceplate for one incorporating a 30mA RCD to provide the level of protection required by BS7671.

Job Done.
Fair enough that explains it better, however I would still prefer to have ground floor sockets on the 30mA rcd as you can never guarantee that other sockets would not be used by persons for outside use or the possibility that he may one day move house.

Sponsored Links
Putting all ground floor sockets on an RCD is simply storing up trouble. Our homes are increasingly occupied by electronic devices, and then all produce leakage currents, and enough will trip the RCD.

In a properly designed installation there is no risk as the sockets used for external equipment would be protected seperatly, then the Kitchen would be on it's own ciruits, but that is another discussion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back