RCD side or Not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have am finally going to upgrade my fuse board to a CU and have an electrician calling around at the weekend for a provisional look.

The house alarm and outside security lights are currently sharing the same fuse and now is the time to split them onto two separate mcbs. I'm going to get the alarm put on the non RCD side. Considering that the lights are outside, would it be better to put them on the RCD side?

Also, the room where I have my computer has it's own socket radial. I was thinking of getting this circuit moved to the non RCD side and protected by an RCBO. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Bothy

Sponsored Links
bothyhead said:
Hi Guys,

I have am finally going to upgrade my fuse board to a CU and have an electrician calling around at the weekend for a provisional look.

The house alarm and outside security lights are currently sharing the same fuse and now is the time to split them onto two separate mcbs. I'm going to get the alarm put on the non RCD side. Considering that the lights are outside, would it be better to put them on the RCD side?

Also, the room where I have my computer has it's own socket radial. I was thinking of getting this circuit moved to the non RCD side and protected by an RCBO. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Bothy

would be a good idea to put the outside lights on a RCD. as for computer, i would just have it on the ring main. computers dont leak much power and unless you have a room full of computers then your unlikely to trip the RCD

Thanks for the quick reply Andy!

i would just have it on the ring main. computers dont leak much power and unless you have a room full of computers then your unlikely to trip the RCD

I was thinking more along the lines of ... if any other earth fault in the house trips the rcd, then at least the PC won't be brought down as well - and I will have time to shut down gracefully.

bothyhead said:
Thanks for the quick reply Andy!

i would just have it on the ring main. computers dont leak much power and unless you have a room full of computers then your unlikely to trip the RCD

I was thinking more along the lines of ... if any other earth fault in the house trips the rcd, then at least the PC won't be brought down as well - and I will have time to shut down gracefully.
if your that worried, you should get a UPS. much easier. and they also last if there is a blackout

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back