Rcd spur

I assumed that was the case. However my point was RCD's do seem to trip for what seems no reason and likely due to spikes on the supply. I have noted my mothers RBCO's have never tripped, and my son and daughters do not seem to have as many trips as we get, I will assume because mine are old and no electronics?

Sponsored Links
For some reason which I don't understand, the test button on RCD sockets (and maybe also RCD FCUs) appears to create a L-E 'fault' for the test

An advantage of doing it that way is that it proves earth connectivity to the socket.

Sponsored Links
For some reason which I don't understand, the test button on RCD sockets (and maybe also RCD FCUs) appears to create a L-E 'fault' for the test
An advantage of doing it that way is that it proves earth connectivity to the socket.
That is true, but it can also result in problems if there is another upstream RCD.

Kind Regards, John

Plus, of course, stand-alone RCDs don't have an earth to do it that way.
Indeed, give that hardly any RCDs have an earth connection, it's clear why their test button does what it does. What I was pondering/asking was why RCD sockets do not (usually, if ever) do the same thing - but endecotp has given one possible explanation.

Kind Regards, John

I assumed that was the case. However my point was RCD's do seem to trip for what seems no reason and likely due to spikes on the supply.
Experiences obvioulsy vary. I have lived with about a dozen RCDs for 20+ years, and cannot recall any occasion on which one has operated 'without good reason'.
I have noted my mothers RBCO's have never tripped, and my son and daughters do not seem to have as many trips as we get, I will assume because mine are old and no electronics?
Possibly, although I would have expected the opposite - that RCDs with electronics (which virtually all now seem to be) would be more susceptible to 'nuisance trips'

Kind Regards, John

Plus, of course, stand-alone RCDs don't have an earth to do it that way.
Indeed, give that hardly any RCDs have an earth connection, it's clear why their test button does what it does. What I was pondering/asking was why RCD sockets do not (usually, if ever) do the same thing - but endecotp has given one possible explanation.
I would think it is because they can but endecotp explanation is very useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back