RCD spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have looked at previous posts but couldnt seem to find the necessary info.

I have a my combi boiler and separate timer in a cupboard in my bathroom.
They are wired into a FCU single fused spur socket. I wish to add underfloor heating and as this is only supply, connect it to this. The consumer unit is fuse cartridge, so I would need to add an RCD. Can I replace the fused spur in the cupboard with an a double RCD and run all three off it, like this one.....

http://www.alertelectrical.com/product.asp?typeID=198&subID=0&prodID=5101

The underfloor heating is 600w, 2.6amps.
Boiler and Timer are negligible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not allowable to fit any plug/socket arrangement in a bathroom.

The boiler is not negligible, it has a 3A fuse.

I am assuming that there is no rcd protection to the circuit at present, and that Ib does not exceed 13A.

You could feed both appliances from the same cable by fitting an RCD spur to the existing cable with a 13A fuse, then feed the two appliances from the load side of the RCD spur, each with their own FCU and appropriate fuse.

What size fuse do the UFH manufacturers recommend?

From their info...

"Install the RCD
You must install a dedicated RCD or use an existing RCD. You may wish to use a combination fused-spur/rcd. No more thatn 4.8kw of heating may be connected to each 30milliamp RCD."

It says that you should "test it with a 5amp plug prior to tiling over it"

Is there such a thing as a double FCU RCD?

An RCD fused spur is only good for 13A.

It's WarmUp?

No, no such thing. If your load does not exceed 13A, you don't need 2 RCD spurs.

As I said before, use one connected to the cable you are using to feed the equipment, then connect two spurs to the load side of RCD spur, each one feeding one appliance, with the spurs fused down appropriately.

Sponsored Links
No more thatn 4.8kw of heating may be connected to each 30milliamp RCD."

??

No more thatn 4.8kw of heating may be connected to each 30milliamp RCD."

Why assume a 20A RCD? :eek: :confused: :!: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back