Rcd test button not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Proteus consumer unit. (I've just read they are a bit naff - not my fault here when I moved in!)

I think it's a split load board, it has 2 halves, one with a "63A type A" RCD switch (twice the width of the other mcbs) labelled "main switch " on the board. ( the other half doesn't have an rcd apart from the one labelled " downstairs ring main" which has its own little test button - this is a hager one all the other mcbs/ switches are proteus)

Anyway I decided to press the test button tonight on the proteus rcd, nowt happened. I've tested it every now and again in the past and it has tripped.

Questions are - I'm going to call an electrician, I assume it's nothing that can't wait until after Christmas? Secondly, is this usually a failed component or does it point to some other wiring fault (only recent work done was fitting of a new boiler which required a few bits and pieces of electrical work it seemed, nothing major.)

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Anyway I decided to press the test button tonight on the proteus rcd, nowt happened. I've tested it every now and again in the past and it has tripped. ... Questions are - I'm going to call an electrician, I assume it's nothing that can't wait until after Christmas? Secondly, is this usually a failed component or does it point to some other wiring fault (only recent work done was fitting of a new boiler which required a few bits and pieces of electrical work it seemed, nothing major.)
Second question is easy. If pressing the test button doesn't cause the RCD to trip, then the RCD has in some way failed (even if it's only the test facility that has failed) and needs to be replaced - nothing else could result in the test button not tripping the RCD.

As for waiting until after Christmas, the RCD is obviously there to protect you (against serious/fatal electric shocks) and if it has failed, you've probably lost that protection - so it's down to a judgement call (but remember that there are still plenty of houses that have no RCDs at all). It would not take an electrician very long to just change an RCD, provided (s)he had, or could get,an appropriate replacement.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back