Presumed broken RCD in consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks

Having moved into our house and got comfortable I found myself looking at the consumer unit today. It's a split unit made by Proteus with lighting circuits on the right and sockets on the left protected by an RCD. I thought it best to give the RCD a quick test. Pressing the test button had no effect whatsoever..

Would this RCD be easy to replace? I'm assuming this is a job for an electrician. Would it cost much to do?

Also, if it isn't currently working, is my electric shower that sits on a circuit 'protected' by this RCD safe to use?

Sponsored Links
The RCD should be pretty easy to replace however the new one will need to be tested to ensure it operates quickly enough hence a sparky with a tester is required.
I wouldn't like to say if your shower is safe to use, the regs didn't used to specify one however sometimes the manufacturer did.

Thanks for your quick response...

It's baths for us for now :D

I also had a failed proteus RCD myself this week.

Horrible brand.

Sponsored Links
I also had a failed proteus RCD myself this week.

Horrible brand.

at least it's cheap and horrible though.

I had to replace an mem the other week, coulda bought a complete 16th board for less than them crooks wanted for the RCD

If the test button is not tested every 3 months as recommended then the mechanics of the RCD sometimes jam, escpecially if not done for years. I would operate the main switch part of the rcd a few times to see if it frees off. Reset it and then use the test to see it it clears. May save a few quid for a needless swap. If doesn't work then will need replacing.

Reset it and then use the test to see it it clears. May save a few quid for a needless swap

But it would still be worth getting it electrically tested for your safety.

...I had to replace an mem the other week, coulda bought a complete 16th board for less than them crooks wanted for the RCD
list prices for "parts" are strangely high, I have known people who say it is cheaper to buy a complete CU and take out the bits they want.

...I had to replace an mem the other week, coulda bought a complete 16th board for less than them crooks wanted for the RCD
list prices for "parts" are strangely high, I have known people who say it is cheaper to buy a complete CU and take out the bits they want.

Always been the way, and nothing new, if you ordered all the parts to build a new ford focus it'd probably cost you 2 or 3 times the assembled one.

My gripe is the RCD alone cost more than a rival branded assembly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back