RCD Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Other than the old button test can someone point it out to me that is the name of the test.

Tell me if I'm wrong but you test at x0.5 x1, x5, to test that the RCD is working fine?

I know the load must be disconnected and the earth loop impedance must also be known. And that a TT systems maximum is 200 ohms.

Is that rite above?

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
The name of the test, and the details I've listed below are they correct in how to test an RCD

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
I'm doing the electrics for my garage which is going to be supplied with a TT system. The reason I'm asking these questions is I want to be able to talk the lingo with the sparky when he comes on site.
Sad I know but it the only way of understanding the job being done.
I got an OSG and I have to admit its all rather dificult to get youir head around this testing meelarky

Thanks in adavance

You need to test the RCD at 0deg and 180deg of the cycle also, and record the highest result.......I have to say, most sparks will be put right off by someone over their shoulder.

Lectrician, I have to agree.
If I was doing a job and the customer tried talking technical without really knowing what he was talking about (and reading OSG will not tell you much), I would either walk off site or sit and talk technical back untill the customer ran out of breath, all on their time of course.

But of course knowing technical terms does help when your "tradesman" (any trade) starts telling you something like "the swazzle flange needs replacing because the shy-standing male coupling crusher fails to meet EC2004/xxx, and all your grommets will require reknurdling".

Not necessarily to stand over anyone's shoulder, but to know if someone's trying to p*** down your back and tell you it's raining.

Not than any *reputable* tradesman would, of course, but there are a few out there in stetsons still, I believe...

M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back