RCD Tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was undertaking eath loop impedance tests on my sockets today, and the RCD keeps tripping out before I can get a reading.

Any ideas? how I can get my readings

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Buy a meter with a D-Lok.

Or, Use the R1 + R2 method after the RCD, and add this to the EFL before the RCD.

A D-Lock is that the meters with the ring at the top?

and what is EFL

Soz, bit confused
Thanks tho

D Lok: An earth fault loop impedance tester which can measure with a reduced current which does not trip RCDs.

Just out of interest, are you actually using an earth fault loop impedance tester?

EFL = Earth Fault Loop (Impedance),

Sponsored Links
Anymore other ways just for future reference. By the way I'm on my second year... and I like to be able to know how to solve a problem before I encounter one.

Thanks in advance

You could bypass the rcd, either by moving the circuit under test onto the otherside of the cu, or otherwise, then take your reading, and put it back, but this is frowned upon, because the circuit is energised without the rcd protection that has been fitted to it, but under controlled conditions (you know for certain the circuit won't be used, and I suppose, that the RCD is not providing the only means of protection against indirect contact (so not on a TT system)) then I suppose it could be used...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back