Rcd tripping when mcb switched on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently got water in one of my kitchen sockets which resulted in, I believe, my rcd tripping. My mcb didn't trip.

I switched each mcb one at a time to find yes it is my kitchen circuit. Due to this I replaced the socket in question with a dry one and checked all wiring was dry, however when I switch on the mcb it trips the rcd still.

Would appreciate any advice as this is beyond my basic knowledge or does the mcb need replacing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This indicates a short from live to earth. Unscrew the socket you replaced and make sure you haven't trapped any wires or pierced them with the faceplate fixing screws. Take a photo and post it on here if you're not sure what you're looking for.

Sponsored Links
Due to this I replaced the socket in question with a dry one and checked all wiring was dry, however when I switch on the mcb it trips the rcd still.
Is there anything plugged into a socket on the circuit that is fed by that MCB when the MCB is switched ON ?

Could the water have affected any other circuit such as lighting or cooker supply ?

If there is any load ( fridge, kettle etc. ) on that circuit when the MCB is switched on then a N-E fault due to water / dampness on another circuit could be the reason the RCD trips. This trip happens even if the MCB for the circuit with the N-E fault is turned OFF.

If there is any load ( fridge, kettle etc. ) on that circuit when the MCB is switched on then a N-E fault due to water / dampness on another circuit could be the reason the RCD trips. This trip happens even if the MCB for the circuit with the N-E fault is turned OFF.
True - but that would be equally true if the MCB of any circuit (on the same RCD) which had any load was switched on, but we've been told that it is only one MCB which does it (although I suppose it's just possible that all the other circuits are unloaded).

An L-E fault on the kitchen circuit is obviously the simplest and most likely explanation.

Kind Regards, John

An L-E fault on the kitchen circuit is obviously the simplest and most likely explanation.
I agree but if the affected socket is now dry and the trip still occurs then a bit of lateral thinking may be needed.
Yes, it may be needed. However, if the OP can confirm that there's nothing amiss with the replaced socket (trapped wires etc.), my money would initially be on some water having got into something else, causing an L-E leak. I would think that an N-E leak great enough to trip an RCD would be very unlikely as a result of water (if water is the culprit).

Kind Regards, John

We have not been told how much water and the direction of flow ? so, it's possible the room has been flooded and a JB or a damaged cable has be soaked.

Really needs a IR test and an electrician :eek:

Regards,

DS

We have not been told how much water and the direction of flow ? so, it's possible the room has been flooded and a JB or a damaged cable has be soaked.
Yep. As I said ... "...my money would initially be on some water having got into something else, causing an L-E leak".
Really needs a IR test and an electrician
Again, yep, it probably does. I don't think that I'd get much of a prize for predicting what the initial whole-circuit IR test would show, but the fault(s) (maybe lots of JBs full of water!) clearly need to be localised by more detailed testing.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back