RCD Tripping

Sponsored Links
It is a M2 which is the same a MK?? I did post a picture last time and if I remember you didn't recognize it, you thought it was from Japan.

So what you are saying, even without anything plugged in to any sockets a leak can be detected, ie from wires in damp walls etc?

Thanks

M2 are the same CU as MK, similar to pedigree chum is the same food as fillet steak ;)

Sponsored Links
JohnD, I still have the pics I sent last time on my computer but I can't remember how to do it. I think you directed me to another site last time, can I attach from here?

I wouldn't have thought it was caused by a faulty CU. Slim chance there could be a bad connection in there.

If you were finding yourself spending a lot of money tracking down the prob, you could go for a first-class maker like MEM, who have a very convenient RCBO assembly. Not cheap, though. Crabtree are also good though I'm not keen on their latest Starbreaker with the tongue - it seems inflexible to me.

Even MK CUs have gone downhill over the past ten yeas or so (though their switches and sockets still seem good)

JohnD, are we talking loads of money here? Hundreds or Thousands??

RCBOs might be £50 each (list price is higher but "no-one pays list")

A CU (empty box) might be £40 (buy a good big one with room for future expansion). It does not need to be split-load if you are going for the superior RCBO method.

MCBs might be £5 to £7

Fitting it including the tests and certification might be a day's work or so. If the existing installlation is quite new and in good condition it should be easier than usual

So I think we're talking hundreds. On the upside, you would be left with a better-quality installation, more reliable and with a longer life, and with RCBOs which will have fewer nuisance trips, and will enable you to identify which circuit is causing them.

Everybody has their own favourite, I happen to like MEM because they make a lot of Industrial and Commercial equipment, where a single failure can cost many thousands in lost production, so they have to be very reliable and long-lived.

Well JohnD, yet again you have given good advice! I really think we are going to be left with no option but to change the cu, not sure I would rely on our electrician to purchase us good quality materials though judging by the comments on the cu we have!

Again thanks a lot for your help and to everyone else that offered advice. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back