RCD tripping

I was always told that if you put over 63A through a 63A rated RCD after a short time it will trip!
I just (previously) had been led to believe that they would trip if overloaded.
I don't know who is leading you to believe things like that, but you should stop listening to him forthwith - he's a dangerous tw@.

I actually disagree but cannot at this time be bothered to look up the facts.
Not a good combination.

I am an electrician with plenty of experience and know the difference between an RCD and an RCBO!
Experienced? Possibly.

Ignorant beyond belief? Undoubtedly.

In all decency you ought to remove the "electrics" part of your ID, and stop doing electrical work until you have acquired sufficient competence.

Sponsored Links
Thankfully I have never ever used an RCD for overcurrent protection!

I just (previously) had been led to believe that they would trip if overloaded.

Live and learn!

By who???? Not your boss/ mentor / trainer/ lecturer I hope!!

:eek:

Maybe he was agreeing with you - "Yes, you're right, you're not an electrician"?

Not wishing to drag this out and detract from the original post but if he was agreeing he should have said something like your statement or maybe, "Yes, I agree, you're not an electrician."

What he posted was, in my opinion, bad grammar after having the audacity to snipe at someone who was honest enough to state he wasn't an electrician and admit he may be wrong.
Don't deride someone for their honesty but if you do make sure you are beyond reproach.

I am sorry to see that this thread seems to have descended into a flame war.

The RCD starting tripping recently after 5 years of continual use of a 7.5kw shower. The shower was replaced and the tripping continues. The problem therefore must be with the circuit, the isolator switch or a leaky water pipe.

I have given my thanks to those posters who I found helpful. To the others that just seemingly wanted to use this thread just to have an argument, I have not.

Many thanks to those posters that were just interested in helping me out.

Sponsored Links
Please recognise that there is more at stake than just your shower problem.

When you get people saying that RCD incomers are usually 100mA, or that RCDs provide overcurrent protection, they have to be corrected -

a) So that anybody reading this thread in the future doesn't read incorrect information

b) So that they don't repeat the incorrect information in the future.

I took the time to attempt to help the OP, I made a silly mistake and as soon as I realised I apologised and put my hands up.

How can this be arrogant?

At least I am not rude!

You didn't just make a silly mistake - according to you you've always thought that RCDs offer overcurrent protection.

That is such a failure to understand the basic nature of protective devices as to be unacceptable in someone working as an electrician, and seriously makes me wonder what other gross misconceptions you're carrying round in your head.

Maybe you have never installed anything that way, but until yesterday you thought it was OK, so presumably if you encountered it you wouldn't recognise the danger.

Nobody is being rude, nobody is insulting you - it's just statements of opinions. You might not like it, but you really do fall way short of the standards required.

"You didn't just make a silly mistake - according to you you've always thought that RCDs offer overcurrent protection."

Hands up, yes I did belive that an RCD as a secondary function offered basic overcurrent protection, ie 63amp, 80amp and 100amp RCD ratings, as previously stated I have NEVER used one for this purpose. I HAVE LEARNT.

"That is such a failure to understand the basic nature of protective devices as to be unacceptable in someone working as an electrician, and seriously makes me wonder what other gross misconceptions you're carrying round in your head."

I am an Arsenal supporter so obviously have many misconseptions!

"Nobody is being rude, nobody is insulting you - it's just statements of opinions. You might not like it, but you really do fall way short of the standards required."

VERY unfair and totaly untrue, to use your terminolagy this exhibits ignorance beyond belief, I think to hound someone who was trying to be helpful and admited a stupid error at the earliest oportunity is pathetic and immature.

Your attitude will stop other people from trying to help, you may think its a good thing but I certainly wont be posting anything in fear of a public flogging from you!

JBPElectrics, please don't be scared off by the forum bully. Just ignore him like the rest of us do, and keep posting here. You are more than welcome.

JBP,
ditto what RF says.
Read my post re- F.A.O.BAS & TTC.

Keep posting.

JBPElectrics, please don't be scared off by the forum bully. Just ignore him like the rest of us do, and keep posting here. You are more than welcome.
RF - do you truly, genuinely believe that an electrician who all his working life has thought that RCDs provide over-current protection, and who at any time could therefore have signed off an installation with unsafe cabling as satisfactory on a PIR, does not fall short of the standards required?

Honestly?

I am sorry to see that this thread seems to have descended into a flame war.

The RCD starting tripping recently after 5 years of continual use of a 7.5kw shower. The shower was replaced and the tripping continues. The problem therefore must be with the circuit, the isolator switch or a leaky water pipe.

I have given my thanks to those posters who I found helpful. To the others that just seemingly wanted to use this thread just to have an argument, I have not.

Many thanks to those posters that were just interested in helping me out.

have you tried as i suggested??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back