RCD Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - Merry Christmas!

Suddenly have abit of an issue with our RCD tripping out.

It first happened just over a week ago at around 6am, tripped it back and didn’t think an awful lot of it, and now it’s happened again.

When it trips it trips all the plugs, / boiler.

The strange thing is nothing has changed before it started (replaced some light switches this week but the issue started before this - and the lights stay on so I don’t think it will be that?)

Is there any easier way of working out what could be causing it, as it’s only started over a week ago and has taken a week I expect it’s going to be difficult to track down!

Thanks

Marc

Sponsored Links
Christmas tree.

Ho, ho, ho

Santa

Christmas tree.

Aha I did think this - we have 2 sets of lights, one on an old type mechanical timer, and the others on a WeMo.

The first time it happened it was around 6am so the lights weren’t on - of course that don’t rule out the timers?

timers might just switch the L, could still be an N-E fault.

Or 6am could be when your boiler starts, or you fill the kettle.

Sponsored Links
Just went again...
How annoying to be today of all days! Gone around switching stuff off - is switching off at the plug enough I guess?

Thanks! I went round last night unplugging pretty much everything - am out all day today so I’ve only left fridge / fish tank plugged in (checked here for any leaks too)

Thing is expect it to be difficult to track - it first happened just over a week ago and was fine since till last night when happened twice.

Merry Christmas all!

Might be water ingress, do you have any outside lights, sockets etc, I had a real headache tracking down a similar fault, eventually found a dripping pipe joint behind the hot water cylinder, it was dripping onto a junction box

earth leakage faults are almost always in watery appliances, such as kettles, immersion heaters, boilers, pumps, outdoor lights, washing machines.

Occasionally in things with a metal sheathed heating element such as ovens.

Thanks for the suggestions all, we are in a flat, no outside lights / plugs etc for us. Before going out today I turned off literally everything apart from essentials (in our case it’s just the fridge freezer / fish tank pump and heater)

It’s not tripped all day so I’ve turned back on everything in a couple of rooms, leaving a few rooms off and will monitor over the next few days.

I did once have an electronic timer, running a CFL tablelamp, which repeatedly tripped the RCBO at switch-off time. It was on the ground floor socket circuit, which includes utility room, washer, and garage with sockets which is cold. It has a background leakage higher than the other circuits.

I swapped the timer for a mechanical type, and the tripping stopped. Can't see why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back