RCD tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had one of the RCD breakers trip out. I've now think I've isolated the fault down to one MCB circuit which also feeds the mains out into the garden for the ponds.

To narrow the fault down even further I need to check the insulation but don't possess a Megger. Has anyone bought and used one of the cheapy products on eBay.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...ategory=58277&pm=1&ds=0&t=1544449789000&ver=0

There are a couple of vintage meggers currently on eBay which I used when I was an apprentice but none have been calibrated recently.

Richard

Sponsored Links
I got the VC60B+ same name but looks different
610hYyDotxL._SL1000_.jpg
It worked A1, after I bought it I found real mega and the reading were nearly the same, what I did find it was confusing as to which terminals to use, and it does not have a low ohm range, forgot and left batteries in it, two months latter they were discharged even when stored off. But it did what it said on the advert.

Think I paid £24 can't grumble at that.

As to calibration as an electrician filling in official documents then yes you likely need paperwork to show it is OK, but for you own house, not really, I consider if two units give nearly same reading then good enough. Working for one firm we sent PAT tester to be calibrated with a traceable record, however it only showed pass/fail lights on PAT tester and software wanted the reading, rung up software suppliers and they said just enter pass figure shown on certificate, it was only then I realised there was no pass figure on paper work, so contacted the calibration house, they said they could not find the "traceable record" seems my idea of traceable was different to theirs! so would I return it, we did and then they said it was set to old pass figures and could not be recalibrated to new pass figure, asked how it passed first time, and seems young lad did testing.

After that it became clear calibration = give the company some money for nothing to be done, so I have never bothered since. All I do is compare results, unlikely two machines will go faulty at the same time.

Thanks for that it's useful to have one at hand without having to spend a lot of money.

Have now found the problem. Water getting into an inline connector in the garden. Thought it was meant to be waterproof but obviously not.

Richard

Sponsored Links
Yes, my thoughts too. Liberally coated the mating surfaces so should be pretty watertight now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back