Rcd tripping

Sponsored Links
Just an update on this situation
I have now disconnected the washing machine and connected the fridge freezer via a extension lead to the ground floor sockets and not kitchen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It seems looking at this
1653497152955.png
it is the kitchen sockets MCB (left) and the general RCD (right) which are tripping, it takes a lot of power to trip a MCB, and it is unlikely the MCB will trip before a fuse in the plug, but not impossible, but in the main a freezer has a 5 amp fuse, so for it to cause a MCB to trip seems unlikely the freezer, if only RCD was tripping I would consider likely problem is freezer, but not with MCB tripping, I know a short circuit can cause an out of balance at same time, and I now think likely the RCD tripping is a red herring, and the fault is not really a imbalance, more likely due to rodents.

But now nothing on the circuit it should show if freezer or not. Also can be just walking across the floor causes a fault if rodent attack.

It seems looking at this View attachment 270657 it is the kitchen sockets MCB (left) and the general RCD (right) which are tripping, it takes a lot of power to trip a MCB, and it is unlikely the MCB will trip before a fuse in the plug, but not impossible, but in the main a freezer has a 5 amp fuse, so for it to cause a MCB to trip seems unlikely the freezer, if only RCD was tripping I would consider likely problem is freezer, but not with MCB tripping, I know a short circuit can cause an out of balance at same time, and I now think likely the RCD tripping is a red herring, and the fault is not really a imbalance, more likely due to rodents.

But now nothing on the circuit it should show if freezer or not. Also can be just walking across the floor causes a fault if rodent attack.
I’ve got the fridge freezer connected to the extension lead and left washing machine disconnected. Connected back other appliances as it tripped when they were disconnected

Sponsored Links
Just an update on this situation
I have now disconnected the washing machine and connected the fridge freezer via a extension lead to the ground floor sockets and not kitchen
So, is it a so far so good?

So far no tripping or any sort. Washing machine disconnected and fridge connnected to extension lead. Usually it takes quite a while
You may think that is possibly reassuring, but, it fact, if the fridge/freezer does not (eventually) trip the MCB of the circuit it's now connected to, then you'll probably have a bigger problem on your hands than just an ill/dead fridge/freezer! Keep us posted.

Kind Regards, John

You may think that is possibly reassuring, but, it fact, if the fridge/freezer does not (eventually) trip the MCB of the circuit it's now connected to, then you'll probably have a bigger problem on your hands than just an ill/dead fridge/freezer! Keep us posted.

Kind Regards, John
Then possibly it could be the washing machine which was the only appliance it was connected with ? Or also my fridge freezer was connected to a extension lead as the wiring in this house is really poor, a lot of extensions all over

Then possibly it could be the washing machine which was the only appliance it was connected with ? Or also my fridge freezer was connected to a extension lead as the wiring in this house is really poor, a lot of extensions all over
I may not be understanding correctly, but if, with the washing machine disconnected the trips occurred when the fridge/freezer was connected to (and running from) the kitchen sockets circuit, but not when the fridge/freezer is connected to a different circuit, then that would indicate a mysterious problem which almost certainly would need to be investigated by an electrician.

Even if the problem causing the trips was somehow due to the kitchen circuit/wiring itself (rather than any appliance), one would expect that problem to persist even if nothing was plugged into it.

On the other hand, if trips do eventually occur on the circuit the fridge/freezer is now connected to, then that would probably 'only' mean that you need a new fridge freezer.

Kind Regards, John

I may not be understanding correctly, but if, with the washing machine disconnected the trips occurred when the fridge/freezer was connected to (and running from) the kitchen sockets circuit, but not when the fridge/freezer is connected to a different circuit, then that would indicate a mysterious problem which almost certainly would need to be investigated by an electrician.

Even if the problem causing the trips was somehow due to the kitchen circuit/wiring itself (rather than any appliance), one would expect that problem to persist even if nothing was plugged into it.

On the other hand, if trips do eventually occur on the circuit the fridge/freezer is now connected to, then that would probably 'only' mean that you need a new fridge freezer.

Kind Regards, John
I had disconnected all appliances from kitchen sockets apart from washing machine and fridge and then it tripped. It was only today I was told to disconnect washing machine and plug fridge freezer onto a different circuit which I now have (ground floor sockets). That’s why I was saying it could be the washing machine if it don’t trip

Could a faulty socket be the cause? :unsure:
We currently haven't got much of a clue. However, if the trips don't occur when the fridge/freezer is plugged into something else, then it could only really be (have been) the fault of the socket if the socket were in some way 'disturbed' ('temporarily mended') by pulling the fridge's plug out - which I suppose is not impossible.

However, as I wrote earlier, for any single fault to (at least sometimes) result in the tripping of both an MCB and RCD is, in itself, a pretty unusual happening.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
I had disconnected all appliances from kitchen sockets apart from washing machine and fridge and then it tripped. It was only today I was told to disconnect washing machine and plug fridge freezer onto a different circuit which I now have (ground floor sockets). That’s why I was saying it could be the washing machine if it don’t trip
Thanks for clarifying. You may be right, then (although, as I said before, it would be extremely unusual for a 'plugged in but not running' WM to cause any trips).

It's always best just to change just one thing at a time, otherwise uncertainly continues - i.e. if the trips stop after you have unplugged the WM and connected the fridge/freezer to a different circuit, then you won't know which of those two changes cured the problem (and hence which appliance is suspect)!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back