RCD trips only when powering a load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope some can help me!

I recently had an electrician install electrics outside in the garden. He installed a consumer unit in the shed to feed lights and sockets etc. He fitted everything needed in the garden but when he started to fit the armoured into the house he ran out of time and said he would returm at a later date. Never came back! Anyway, tried doing the rest myself by drilling through wall, connected the armourd cable t9 the consumer in the correct manner. Noticed that there was no available slots left of the rcd side of the cu, so put it on the other side. Power the main cu up and everything ok until I plug something in to the sockets outside or turn on the l8ght swich

Sponsored Links
Is the neutral wire connected to the CORRECT neutral bar in the consumer unit?

Also, the armoured cable is probably 3 core. Check the same colour wire has been used at each end for L, N and E.

he ran out of time and said he would returm at a later date. Never came back!
I hope that you did not pay him anything

Its the RCD in the outhouse that trips, yes?

If so, the response above tells you the solution, or post a pic of the offending wiring.

Thanks for reply :) There's only one neutral bar in the consumer unit. Iv checked all wiring and all appears to be correct. The RCD that trips is the one in the house consumer unit btw. Its only when trying to power something that it trips

Sponsored Links
. Noticed that there was no available slots left of the rcd side of the cu, so put it on the other side. Power the main cu up and everything ok until I plug something in to the sockets outside or turn on the l8ght swich

There must be 2 neutral blocks in there.

As the circuit is connected to an non-rcd way in your house CU, please state if there is a 30mA RCD in the CU in the shed.

And pictures of the inside of teh house CU, as requested above.

Cracked it!!!! There was another neutral bar! All works fine now. Thank you all. Im a happy fella now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back