RCD Type,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

While filling in a minor works testing and inspection sheet is said something along the lines of Type of RCD,eg. 1 or 2 there was no information on the MK rcd itself so im a bit unsure...... can someone point me in the right direction and inform me what the different types are and what application they should be used for.......

regards,

carlos

Sponsored Links
Carloss, I think they mean the BS number, as different types have to comply with different standards.

This is not my part of the industry so I am certainly no expert here, hopefully one of the actual sparks that post here will be able to clarify this for you.

Hey, somewhere along te lines it says

MCB type, I or II

there was no markings on the RCD.... im not sure what the 2 classes mean and what they can be used for.

carlos

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking this is the NICEIC form? The NIC ask for the RCD BS(EN) and the type. I must admit this form has me a bit puzzled too. The only thing I can think it means is the normal type or the time delayed type S (selective), although there must be an NICEIC spark on this site who can help clear this up?

Hello,
yes it is a NIC form... i was looking through a book and i found 3 types... selective as you mensioned, AC and a half wave rectifier...... must be to do with a mechanism inside the rcd.

carlos

If it is going down these lines, there are 4 basic types of RCD:
Type A
Type B
Type AC
Type S

The normal types we see in houses will generally be either type AC or S.
Type A provide protection against AC earth fault currents that contain pulsating DC components.
Type B provide protection against DC earth fault currents.
Type AC provide protection against AC earth fault currents.
Type S are generally used for discrimination.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back