Difference between DC RCD's and Type B RCD's?

Is the 100mA one upstream of your bonding (and/or electrode) connections?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Only the L and N go to the RCD (which is immediately after the meter and isolator, hence is the most 'upstream' thing in my installation), but the MET, hence bonding and earthing conductors, are totally separate issues - so what do you mean by the RCD being 'upstream' of them?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Second thoughts - does that matter on 'no-trip' setting?
I'm not sure what all this talk of the "no trip setting" actually means. Despite the manual (which covers other models as well), 1652's (well, mine!) only have one loop impedance setting, and that appears to be the 'no trip one'.

Kind Regards, John

So just tested the Megger 1552 on No-Trip Zs. As I suspected, with both the N&PE leads connected to the CPC and nothing to N, the RCD tripped and the tester displayed TRP.

Once it displays TRP it stops testing, regardless of whether or not there is still voltage present between CPC+Line

I'm not sure what all this talk of the "no trip setting" actually means. Despite the manual (which covers other models as well), 1652's (well, mine!) only have one loop impedance setting, and that appears to be the 'no trip one'.
See page 27.

Sponsored Links
See page 27.
Page 27 contains only notes relating to the instruction given on Page 26, the first of which is:
Turn the rotary switch to the  position. The LCD indicates that the high current loop mode is selected by displaying the  symbol.
That first placeholder (relating to a high current loop test symbol) refers to a position of the rotary switch which doesn't exist on my 1652 (either of my 1652s!). Does the switch on yours have such a position?

Kind Regards, John

So just tested the Megger 1552 on No-Trip Zs. As I suspected, with both the N&PE leads connected to the CPC and nothing to N, the RCD tripped and the tester displayed TRP. Once it displays TRP it stops testing, regardless of whether or not there is still voltage present between CPC+Line
Since, when I did it, my Fluke 1652 tripped the upfront RCD, I was 'plunged into darkness' and so don't know what, if anything the display had to say for itself!

Kind Regards, John

Since, when I did it, my Fluke 1652 tripped the upfront RCD, I was 'plunged into darkness' and so don't know what, if anything the display had to say for itself!
Does it not have a backlight? :rolleyes:

Surprising it doesn't have a hi-current test, can this not be done using the F1 button or whichever that button to the left of the LCD that changes RCD test mode etc?

upload_2017-9-4_18-51-36.png

On the Fluke, F1 changes between 3 wire and 2 wire.
2 wire is high current, 3 wire is not.
The display shows 2 wire as dots in only the N&L indicators, nothing in PE.
The two leads in the N&L sockets are either connected to L&N, L&E or between 2 phases depending on what you want to measure.

Does it not have a backlight? :rolleyes:
Well, yes, but one needs to be able to find button to press to get it on. When I tripped the upfront RCD, my 'phase failure system' came into operation and provided light from a different phase. However, that lighting is only designed and intended (and positioned) to help one find one's way around, not to find buttons on an MFT.
Surprising it doesn't have a hi-current test, can this not be done using the F1 button or whichever that button to the left of the LCD that changes RCD test mode etc?
Yes, it can, and EFLI is looking at a version of the manual which explains this more clearly. The F1 button toggles between "L-PE" and "L-N" loop testing, and I have always just thought of it as such. However, what I should have realised (and what EFLI's manual, but not mine, explains) is that one can do an "L-N" loop test ('2-wire') between L and PE. I would have thought that they could have made the display (and buttons) a bit more explicit about this .... but, anyway, one learns something every day!

Kind Regards, John

On the Fluke, F1 changes between 3 wire and 2 wire. 2 wire is high current, 3 wire is not. The display shows 2 wire as dots in only the N&L indicators, nothing in PE. The two leads in the N&L sockets are either connected to L&N, L&E or between 2 phases depending on what you want to measure.
Yes, I now realise that - see my response to Iggifer. Partially because of the manual I've got, and partially through not having thought about it, I have always taken that functionality as being what it says - toggling between L-N and L-PE loop tests. I probably should have thought of it, but it never occurred to me to do a "L-N" loop impedance test (since that's what it says in the display) between L and PE!

Kind Regards, John

<page 27 of his Fluke manual>
See my respopnses to Iggifer and flameport. I think I now understand what has confused me - I have a manual which covers several different models, but yours is presumably just for the 1652. It's a bit naughty the way they've written mine but it does not really talk about doing a 2-wire high current EFLI test in "L-N" loop impedance mode, since, instead, (and without saying so) they talk about a different model which has a (rotary) switch position for the 2-wire EFLI test (which the 1652 doesn't have).

Kind Regards, John

Mine is for all 165X models but dated 2003, 2004.

It's just a downloaded PDF but I don't know how to get back to the original link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back