help with testing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to extend a ring main with one double gang RCD socket, im a bit in the fog regarding testing, i understand that i will have to fill out a minor works form? what tests will i need to implement? i have been told that i do not need to do a earth loop or a PSC at the main board for minor works job is this right? my belief by what i have read is i do the following:

Continuety (R1 R2)

Installation resistance (obviously with RCD taken out)

Polarity

Earth Loop at all sockets on cct recording the highest reading

Rcd Test

Sponsored Links
Im about to extend a ring main with one double gang RCD socket, im a bit in the fog regarding testing, i understand that i will have to fill out a minor works form? what tests will i need to implement? i have been told that i do not need to do a earth loop or a PSC at the main board for minor works job is this right? my belief by what i have read is i do the following:

Continuety (R1 R2)

Installation resistance (obviously with RCD taken out)

Polarity

Earth Loop at all sockets on cct recording the highest reading

Rcd Test

Ring continuity ( r1 r2 rn & R1 + R2 & will proove polarity if done right)
IR
EFLI
RCD test

just looking at the job i am to do again, i have noticed that the socket i will be extending from has an earth terminal in the back box and not a separate earth wire back to the CU and so obviously uses the metal conduit to earth back to the CU so how would i do a continuity test / installation test back at the board for this, i have read testing books and i cant find what to do?

you can't really do a round the ring continuity test when the conduit is used as earth.

you can however use a lead to test that the earth of each socket is somehow connected back to the CU earth.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back