Rcd's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just exactly what fault condition will trip them ? I know that mcb's are there for overload protection but seeing as the rcd doesn't have an earth connection, what sort of fault will cause them to operate ?

I know that they are installed to help against electric shock but just how do they do this ( apart from the faster tripping time ), just like to know that's all.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
An RCD is looking for the current in the phase and neutral to be ballanced all the time (healthy circuit.) If they are not ballanced then the current has to be flowing elsewhere i.e. to earth either via a protective conductor or a person, if this exceeds the trip value of the RCD then it will trip.
An RCD is different to an MCB which is an overcurrent protective device.

A fault to earth ;) (whether it be via the protective conductor or otherwise)

The phase and neutral pass through the RCD, and they are wound around an iron core, a search coil is also wound around the same core and it acts as a transformer, the magnesium in the core induces a current in the search coil.

The currents normally sum to zero, as the neutral current is equal and opposite to the line current, but if one should be a little lower (hence there must be a leakage to earth somewhere), it no longer sums to zero and a current is induced in the search coil, which activates the trip mechanism.

The test button connects the outgoing line, via a resister to the incomming neutral to cause an inbalence on purpose.

Some of the modern devices do have an earth connection for the elctronics inside them, but the protective conductor of the circuit does not pass through the device.

Before RCDs, there were voltage operacted earth leakage circuit breakers (VO-ELCBS) which did have the earth of the installation connected through them, and worked on the volatage to earth, they are no longer reliable and have not been installed in the past 25 years, they should be replaced with RCDs

Current operated earth leakage circuit breakers were just RCDs made before the terminlogy was fully hammered out, so are fully acceptable as long as they test out

Sponsored Links
I find it rather scary that in one post you are talking about changing your CU when in this one you clearly dont appreciate the difference between RCD & MCB.

I find it rather scary that in one post you are talking about changing your CU when in this one you clearly dont appreciate the difference between RCD & MCB.

It's not that I didn't appreciate the difference Cremeegg, it's just that I knew an mcb tripped on overcurrent & wasn't sure how the rcd did it's job. I suppose, in retrospect, I should have checked the wiki :oops: I have remembered to check it for some of my questions before I ask them but I forgot on this one. :rolleyes:

I understand the basics of electricity & I know I am capable of doing the CU change I am proposing, including all the associated work that I have found needs doing. However, I have no access to the proper testing equipment ( and wouldn't be interested in doing the checks anyway ) so that is why I am getting the LABC in to make sure of the integrity of the existing wiring first.

There's no need to feel scared m8, I wouldn't take anything on that I didn't feel I was capable of doing, or was illegal, hence my posts on the Plumbing Forum about the boiler change I need to get done. That one IS going to cost me money coz I don't wanna break any rules.

It's nice to know that the guys here do actually make sure people are capable though, thanks.

Thanks for all the other replies as well lads, it is appreciated.

My hands didn't type what my brain told them to :oops:

That could be embarrassing...!

Now Adam, write down these notes for an estimate to install a shower for a young female client...

40A Circuit buttock, I mean breaker.

15m of size 10..ooops, 10mm² T&E.

etc.....

Going back a just under decade when I was in teh first year of high school, I got a piece of homework back with the comment on it "Adam, please take care with your drumkit (crossed out) presentation" , asked about it out of curiosity, and apparenty another student was telling her about a drumkit he receieved as a Christmas gift while she was marking books" :LOL:

Oh, and my writing is still untidy :D (perhaps its a little neater than it was back then- I gave up trying to use a fountain pen)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back