Re-Boarding bathroom - not skimming, just tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started a bathroom project. Room was fully tiled ~25 years ago. started taking tiles off, were straight onto 9mm plasterboard (no skim), ended up taking out all of the boards as was easier...

I've done some searching of forums and understand BR have changed such that 12.5mm board should be used for the walls now. Can anyone comment on my plan:

1. Add more studs to support heavier boards (need to check min number of studs/centres)

2. Use Lafarge moisture resistant boards 12.5mm for the walls attached with 42 mm zinc drywall screws - (previous boards were nailed - are screws now the norm?).

3. Tape joints with scrim fibre tape - can I use flex tile adhesive to scrim the joint or would you use something else?

4.Use a synthetic resin primer on the boards (mapei primer G) and tile directly to them with a cement based adhesive (BAL). Tiles weigh 14kg per sq M plus adhesive weight

5. For the wet area with shower over bath, tank this area with Mapei waterproofing kit, then tile.

I am not going down the route of Marmox boards as I have done previously on another project, as this gets seriously expensive.

Should I pay consideration to thermal/sound insulation betwen the studs, as right now you can hear quite a bit one room into another/.. If so, what's recommended?

Thanks for reading - I appreciate your time and replies. (wasn't sure if this was the correct forum)

Sponsored Links
Update: studs are at 600mm centres, studs 70mm deep, 50mm wide. I'm going withe the plan of acoustic/heat insulation, but a bit unsure which brand/type.

Rock wool on a roll or rockwool slabs?
Will the roll "slump" down the wall?
If I can't get 70mm, should I go slightly thicker?

Thanks

Fill the voids with rockwool. Acoustic insulation is relevant but thermal is not. Rockwool is rigid and will not slump.

Don't try and use insulation that is thicker than the void.

Use 12.5mm aquaboard, tilebacker or similar in constant wet areas, and moisture resistant plasterboard in others.

Tanking is up to you. I would be more vigilant regards the quality of the tiling and grouting and especially the silicone sealing.

I personally do not like 600mm centres (too wide) but they are adequate for your scenario.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back