Re-cladding a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings DIYers

At the bottom of my garden is a 1930s sheet metal garage. Because a bit of it is below ground level, the metal has rusted and there is a fair bit of water ingress.

The frame is made of timber and seems pretty sound, but I have an asbestos cement roof. I plan in the future to have a new one built, but this won't be for a number of years.

The garage as it stands is a bit of an eyesore, and not very practical as it gets quite damp.

What I'm thinking is digging around the garage to remove immediate contact from surrounding ground, and then building in some drainage system. Then removing the sheet metal cladding, and re-cladding in shiplap timber. Now to my limited brain, this makes perfect sense - the frame is already there, all I have to do is fix the timber to it. The roof will also need to be replaced, but I might get pros in to deal with that.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Couple of courses of brick/blocks under the whole lot would be better. Any timber really needs to be at least 150mm from ground, shingle around the perimeter will help with drainage.

Consider cement 'timber effect' cladding if you really want to clad down to the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back