Asbestos garage - can I reclad it in wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage has a timber frame then asbestos panels on the outside. Is it possible to replace the asbestos (which is cracked in places) with ply and then clad the whole thing in wood (either shiplap or cheap t&g floorboards)?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is BUT read up on asbestos first. You MUST follow strict procedures in removal, storage and disposal. If in doubt get an expert . Remember although your asbestos is probably low grade it can still cause problems.

Thanks, I have asked the council for information on disposal of the asbestos.

I was just wondering if there are likely to be an problems cladding the frame in wood as I think overall it will be heavier and it doesn't have the same damp proof qualities as asbestos.

There have been wooden garages for decades now so no problem if you use suitably treated timber and you can always line it with insulation board.

Sponsored Links
surprisingly you may find it cheaper to rebuild the walls in concrete block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back