Re-doing Bathroom Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to completely overhaul the bathroom, this will include taking out the carpet :eek: and tiling the floor.

Currently under the carpet there is green chipboard? I reckon this will get ripped out as we are moving a few walls and positions of bath toilet, sink etc so new piping will necessitate taking it all up....

When re-laying the floor I was going to get 3/4 " Marine ply and screw and glue down to the joists. Then I was going to use flexible grout and tile over....

Now then, is this the correct way to do things to make sure there is no cracking and loose tile in the future? I've heard from a few people that I could use aquapanel on top of the ply, or use aquapanel on top of the green chipboard or just use WPB Ply on its own, or Use marine ply on its own?

Now I'm totally confused!! :( :confused: :eek:
Any help and advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
i'm no expert in this area but know that it needs to be done 100% right to avoid cracking - hence i use tile effect laminate (much warmer, quicker and probably cheaper) sealed with thin bead pva glue as i fit each plank.

the trouble with wood is that it expands at a different rate to "cement" (meaning other building materials particularly plaster and brick for example) based materials. it also shrinks as it dries out.

i would go for aquapanel over flooring grade ply (i'm not convinced on the need for marine ply in every situation). i would fit the 2 layers at 90 deg to each other to minimise the movement and would definitely use screws not nails (but i know their are different views on this). i would probably leave the existing plywood also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back