Re-filling combi system

G

Goldspoon

Okay... have combi boiler... am draining all system using lowest radiator due to fitting new rad (boiler all off of course). Will fit new rad. Then need to re-fill system and add cleanser.

Question 1: When I refill system with water it's correct to do this with the combi off? Combi off will still allow water to fill system to correct bar (bleeding rads gradually etc.).

Then switch boiler back on...

Question 2: Then run for 1 hour with cleanser at 50 degrees ish (warm). Then drain again. Then fill again but adding Protector. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Yes make sure boiler is off.

Then refill and presurise to 1 Bar/bleed rads.

I suggest you isolate the gas then run boiler in heating mode and cycle the hot water on/off several times. When the pump in the boiler is running fairly quiet than turn the gas back on and run the heating.

During this the boiler may lockout several times requiring a reset.

Depending on whether the boiler is fairly new or not you may want to take the opportunity to check the expansion vessel pressure whilst the system pressure is zero....see FAQs.

It is also a good idea to take a look at the boiler auto air vent once refilled since these can start to leak after a drain down.

What boiler make/model?

Thanks

Boiler is 7 years old. Will download manual.

Isolate the gas...? Is this really important? How?

Lockout? Reset? I have used a little reset pin before when boiler has thrown a wobbler - is this what you mean?

Yes make sure boiler is off.

Then refill and presurise to 1 Bar/bleed rads.

I suggest you isolate the gas then run boiler in heating mode and cycle the hot water on/off several times. When the pump in the boiler is running fairly quiet than turn the gas back on and run the heating.

During this the boiler may lockout several times requiring a reset.

Depending on whether the boiler is fairly new or not you may want to take the opportunity to check the expansion vessel pressure whilst the system pressure is zero....see FAQs.

It is also a good idea to take a look at the boiler auto air vent once refilled since these can start to leak after a drain down.

What boiler make/model?

Sponsored Links
You want to run the cleaner a couple of weeks rather than an hour.
Don’t worry too much about exact pressure, as long as it stays somewhere between 1 and 2, you are fine.
Make sure ev is correct.
Read through FAQs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back