1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-finishing damaged MDF cupboard front

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by HawkEye244, 19 Aug 2021.

1. HawkEye244

HawkEye244

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,
    I'm touching up some laminated MDF cupboard fronts and would like to repair the water damage (as per photo.)

I've applied some leyland acrylic but obviously any moisture is being re-soaked up by the MDF causing it to rise. I have repeatedly painted and sanded this area but not achieved a nice base finish.

Does anyone have a really good solution to this problem that doesn't not involve me going out and buying a tin of MDF sealer? I almost never deal with MDF (this is the first time in 10 years) and will be unlikely do so again, so buying a whole tin of something I'm likely never going to use is the least desired option. I do have PVA to hand. Many thanks for any information.

IMG_20210819_090453401.jpg
    IMG_20210819_090504666.jpg
    IMG_20210819_090447760.jpg

2. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you have an oil-based undercoat/primer? That will seal the MDF with minimal grain rise

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. HawkEye244

HawkEye244

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, I will look and see.
    Will a gloss paint of any description serve the same purpose?

5. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It would, maybe, but the problem then is that you'll need to abrade the surface to get some sort of mechanical bond between the sealing coat and whatever you use as the final finish. It will also take a long time to set fully before you abrade it. Personally, I wouldn't go down this track. You'd be better off with a can of car touch up undercoat

6. Sponsored Links