Re-fit blunder: Remove Shower Tray Cement Base or Keep it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I'd REALLY appreciate some advice. I've just had someone in to refit my bathroom, in a Victorian terrace so the bathroom floor isn't level. Instead of using the shower tray riser kit he told me to buy he has put the shower tray onto a cement base and the finish is awful (as in the cement is exposed, has gaps in it) and the shower tray is not quite level as water pools behind the plug (it's an offset quadrant). I asked him to either correct the job or take money off the quote, so he filled in a couple of gaps and then put some white stuff on it and he thinks that's acceptable. It still looks awful. He won't do anything more to it so has taken some money off but I'm not sure it's enough to fix the issue properly. It's my first experience of having anything big done and feel totally let down. :(

So, my question is should I try and find someone to lift the shower tray (which will require the lower tiles being removed from the wall as well) to remove the cement base and refit with a riser kit, which will sort the shower levelling issue and trim, or just accept the pool of water and find someone to make good the trim, which I've read and head using a piece of upvc can do the job? Any ideas on how much it might cost to lift and re-fit the shower tray please?

Thanks for any advice.

Charlotte

Sponsored Links
Why dont you post pics of the installation? It will be much easier to advise you with detail and bathroom pics.

I thought I posted one photo of the finished shower tray with my post. Sorry I'm new to this! Here you go! Thanks Vinn.

I don't have photos of the actual installation of the shower onto the cement I'm afraid as I work during the day and it was all done before I could see it or knew about it.

Shower tray cement bare.JPG
Shower tray.JPG

Thank you for the pics.
The only way you could take remedial action with the tray would be (as you suggested) to pull it and the enclosure and probably the bottom row of tiles.
Re-installation would have to take the new flooring into account.
At the moment your only access to the waste is from below the floor.
The sand and cement exposed below the apron base is a very amateurish detail - it looks as though it might have been stuffed under as an attempt to level the tray?
The white stuff is white silicone sealant.
Gluing on a strip of white PVC trim ( as used in PVC window installations) will work.

FWIW: is that a chimney breast behind the vanity?

Sponsored Links
Yep, you're right he used a cement base to try and level the tray as the floor slopes from the back (left) wall you see there towards the other wise of the room.

The guy who fitted the floor had a nightmare but hasn't finished as he is waiting to see what is happening about the shower tray trim. He agreed it's a botched job.

Would you have an idea of how much it might cost to take the shower tray up and re-lay plus those tiles? I just can't get an idea if it's what I should do or just to live with a upvc trim solution and a small pool of water that will permanently be in the shower. I'd rather fix it but if it's a large cost then I can can't afford it.

Number one: the original quotation visit to the site by a professional installer involves checking such basic details as floor levels.
What we would do the job for could be anywhere from two or three hundred to more - its impossible to say without visiting a site.
I never quote without seeing the site - never.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think to make up my mind I just need to get a couple of quotes and decide if it's the way forward or make best with upvc and a slightly sloping tray!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back