Re-fit toilet in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to restore the toilet we have in an old out-house.

The final section of the remaining floor is weak concrete with the toilet set in.

The toilet doesn't seem to have any bolts, it appears to be held in by the concrete (pic attached).

Is there a way I can remove the loo so I can lay the new DPM and concrete slab and then replace the toilet? I can live with damaging the toilet but don't think I want to break the existing waste pipe!

Sponsored Links
Older toilets like this were 'set' on top of a concrete mix then damped down onto it to level then dry.

My guess is that you will crack the toilet if you try to break it out. Even if you manage it there will be a plug of concrete adhered to the underside......

I would suggest you try carefully but with the real prospect of having to replace the toilet bowl

Ok, I don't mind replacing the bowl as the current floor has to come up one way or another.

What about the waste pipe though? Cant imagine that'd be easy to fix if cracked below surface level

True. Just be careful. If it cracks then you can get fernco adaptors but you would need to dig out around it to attach......or if the floors coming up replace the lot

Sponsored Links
Gently with a hammer and chisel knock out the cement out from where the pan waste connects to the clay waste - once its free crack the pan out from the floor and clear the concrete from under the pan.

As mentioned earlier can get new fitting to slide into clay waste pipe in floor, sometimes neater to take off the "collar" of the clay pipe with an angle grinder and connect direct into the internal clay pipe with a standard pan connector with large flange. Depends on the type of WC going back in as how you treat the Clay pipe.

If you are very careful it is sometimes possible to break the outlet away first, but its vital you dont drop any bits of porcelain down the pipe as it could block it. (I'd try and break it where it joins the pan initially.) Once the outlet is seperated from the pan, remove remainder of pan, 3" cold chisel tight against floor may get pan and concrete base away in one. Just be gentle near that salt glazed pipe, it wont take much to put a lateral crack through it....
Then you can chip away the rest of the outlet left in the drain, advise you wear decent gloves, the porcelain can be as sharp as glass. Piece of rag or newspapers stuffed into drain prevents any fragements getting lost but make sure you can get rag/paper back out again!!!....

thanks all for the sound and very speedy advice - let's see how it goes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back