Re-grout or rip out?

28 Aug 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I had a new bathroom fitted last year by a local plumber/tiler. The problem is that I have serious leaking from the bathroom into my bedroom after a shower. The problem is definitely leakage through the tile grout. You can see cracks running through all the grout on 2 of the 3 walls. The tiles have been fixed to a stud wall along one side and to plasterboard (on the back of the heating cupboard on the other wall). I cannot see any cracks on the third wall which is brick but well away from the shower. The question is - do I just get the grout replaced - i am not sure if my fitter (who has gone awol) used a flexible grout or is it likely that I have movement in my walls. Should my tiles be removed and an aqua board? put in place.
Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum.
Heat, tiles and timber do not mix.
If your plasterboard has got damp, you should replace it - whether you replace it with more plasterboard or whether you use aquapanel is up to you. Whatever you decide to use, you should tank the shower walls to prevent water from getting to (and through) the wall in future.
Use a decent powdered adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links