Re-hanging tiles on an Edwardian gable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a 1907 terraced house and I'd like to tidy up a gable at the front of the property with vertical hung tiles - and I've finally got scaffolding up and can get a proper look at the job - here's a pic.. You can see a few tiles which have been fixed in place with adhesive and some more attached with tingles.

IMG_20230925_184143.jpg

From limited prior research I expected the tiles would be cut to fit snugly against the soffit however having got up her I see that the situation is slightly different in that it appears to have been tiled beforehand (possibly with whole tiles to the edges) with a soffit applied afterwards. The soffit appears to be formed from rendered laths.

IMG_20230925_183902.jpg

I can see from the inside that the gable is covered with timber planks (rather than felt/battens) so assume the tiles are without nibs and nailed directly to the boards.

So my plan now is..
1. hack off the soffit
2. remove tiles top down
3. source (around 20x?) reclaimed clay tiles to replace broken and mismatched ones
4. rehang tiles, nailing directly to original boards
5. replace soffit - maybe with ply or cement board rather than rendered finish.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Main concern is probably getting hold of tiles without nibs but I'm sure I can knock the nibs off if it comes to it. Thoughts welcome!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back