Re ideal accent flush diaphragm change ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I have an Ideal accent close coupled single flush toilet cistern , with side handle,and it won’t flush!
Presume it is the diaphragm .
Don’t know what the part is called , other than diaphragm ?
Does the whole flush system have to come out of the cystern to replace it, which means the whole toilet has to come out to get at it in a corner .
Never changed one before.
Any advice would be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the type of flush valve - if it's a two-part siphon then you don't need to remove complete siphon to replace the diaphragm. If it's a one-piece siphon then the cistern needs to come off the pan to enable you to remove the siphon.

Post a phot of the cistern internals - it might be possible to see what's fitted.

If you do replace the siphon then fit a two-part replacement so that hext time you don't have to remove the cistern (Dudley turbo88 for example)

Thanks newboy for reply.
I am useless at posting pics, don’t know how?
I will try if you are to tell me how .
it looks to me to be in one piece !
I was just looking at the Dudley turbo 88.
I have had the suite over 24 years.
Flipping expensive, over £200 for a new seat, had three in the past under warrantee!
So it’s best to replace the whole flushing system, siphon,than just the diaphragm ?
Does the Dudley 88 fit mine ?
Does it have all
I need in it ?
If I have to split the cystern from the pan, then I will have to cut the metal bracket pins that hold it together as they are rusted , so I will require new one of them etc ?

Last edited:
If it's a one-piece siphon then I'd replace the complete siphon with a new one that's serviceable without the need to remove the cistern. Check the existing siphon carefully - if there's a plastic ring around the ascending leg of the siphon then it can indicate that the siphon can be split. It's worth trying to upload a photo before going to the trouble of splitting a cistern/pan!

The Dudley duo 88 is a decent siphon - you need to match the siphon height with the one that's already installed - if you get the variable height version then that's the simplest route.

If the cistern hasn't been split from the pan in 24 years then there's a chance you may have some difficulty in getting the coupling apart and may need to replace both the coupling and the doughnut washer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.I will try to find out how to post a pic.
cannot feel a ring!
had the whole toilet out several times, but never split it,hope the wing nuts don,t shear !
is the Dudley duo 88 ok for right side handle ?
Good of you to help.

Splitting a 24 year old cc... Probably be better off getting a whole new bog. :whistle:;)

Splitting a 24 year old cc... Probably be better off getting a whole new bog. :whistle:;)
Thought about it, but it is one of a suite and in a corner, one of the costliest they make , even though it gives me grief with seat screws shearing and as I said,£220 for new one.
Yet siphon. Had lasted 24+ years !
i am still trying to find how to post a pic.It
Condenses like hell,I put a jacket on it now.
Might have to replace it .
Getting one to fit in the corner is problem.
It will be easier to take it out to work o n it, 5 mins to do that
luckily I have two loos.

IMG_20191103_185407.jpg

IMG_20191103_191402.jpg
IMG_20191103_191402.jpg
IMG_20191103_191331.jpg

Don,t know if these help.
Ignore first, test
as you can see, even lagged inside to try to stop condensation, no good though.

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_191410.jpg
    IMG_20191103_191410.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 186

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back