Re-lay engineered wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large expanse of maple engineered wooden floor that may have to come up due to potential central heating leak. My question is how realistic is it to take the floor up and re-lay it in such a way that it looks as good as it does now? The boards are laid on top of a solid concrete floor with an insulating layer between the board and concrete.

A section of the floor has recently been sanded and re-sealed, the majority has the original manufacturer finish and does not need to be sanded.

At the moment I'm not sure if the floor will need to be lifted, just want to get an idea of the consequences if it does.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Are the T&G's glued? If so, when lifting the floor these could be damaged. When re-installing, make sure all the grooves are cleaned.

Also, where the floor was re-sealed, damage can appear at the edges of the boards.

I don't think the T&G is glued so may make the job a bit easier if necessary. The reseal was quite recent so hopefully easier to get apart. If there is damage to to resealing and subsequent disassembly, what's the course of action?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Resand and reseal I'm afraid. Or if the damage is very tiny, only sand the damaged area slightly and carefully reseal these places, but notable differences between (re)resealed areas and other areas could appear with this method.

You could try the latter method first, if the result is not to your liking, you could always sand the whole lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back