(Re)Moving Velux Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get solar panels on my roof, but all installers point out the limitation of space on my top roof, which is really a shame as it is perfectly south facing. I would like to know if anyone could give an estimate of what it would cost to move the two top (green) velux windows over to the north side (yellow area). The loft is fully built out, so one can access them quite easily from the inside for the most part. This would be a major factor in deciding to go ahead with solar panels in the first place, as I am right on the cusp of having space for sufficient panels.

Any advice would be appreciated. See picture below.
roof.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your contribution...I take it you mean, don't do it (the velux window move), it's a waste of money...

Sponsored Links
Probably, there's a room in the rooof by the looks? As if there is will be quite involved as you would normally double up the rafters either side (assuming they won't fit into the existing spaces between the rafters) so may be quite invasive. Are you prepared to pay for scaffolding or are you expecting a roofer to do it all off a ladder as the old rooflights can only be tiled from above. Really you need three quotes but I'm gonna stick a finger in the air at £2-4k + scaffolding.

How long will it take to pay off the cost of moving the windows with the solar produced? How many more panels will you be able to fit on?
Put some on your extension roof?

Probably, there's a room in the rooof by the looks? As if there is will be quite involved as you would normally double up the rafters either side (assuming they won't fit into the existing spaces between the rafters) so may be quite invasive. Are you prepared to pay for scaffolding or are you expecting a roofer to do it all off a ladder as the old rooflights can only be tiled from above. Really you need three quotes but I'm gonna stick a finger in the air at £2-4k + scaffolding.
yes the loft is fully built out and plastered, with lights and sockets. Thanks for your guesstimate, I think 2-4k + scaffolding is definitely not worth it.
How long will it take to pay off the cost of moving the windows with the solar produced? How many more panels will you be able to fit on?
Put some on your extension roof?
I've asked 4 companies so far and everybody is coming back with a different configuration (some did not even want to quote). I am already using the entire extension/outrigger roof, but that alone won't be enough. I would require at least 9 panels. I am no expert, but back of the envelope calculations: moving the Velux windows will allow me to add an extra 1 maybe 2 panels. Say 10% more "savings" at best, so maybe 80 quid per year... at 2-4k cost... mhm ok that makes no sense at all.

Thanks for your inputs.

yes the loft is fully built out and plastered, with lights and sockets. Thanks for your guesstimate, I think 2-4k + scaffolding is definitely not worth it.

I've asked 4 companies so far and everybody is coming back with a different configuration (some did not even want to quote). I am already using the entire extension/outrigger roof, but that alone won't be enough. I would require at least 9 panels. I am no expert, but back of the envelope calculations: moving the Velux windows will allow me to add an extra 1 maybe 2 panels. Say 10% more "savings" at best, so maybe 80 quid per year... at 2-4k cost... mhm ok that makes no sense at all.

Thanks for your inputs.
Most do surveys from google maps. You can input some data in to easy-pv.co.uk to work out how many panels may fit in an area.

Any out buildings? Ground mount array?

Whilst you should fit as many panels as possible - relocating high cost items is not worth while.

Looks like you would lose 2 perhaps 3 panels, you have the added bonus of the roof coming off the main building as well?

You should easily get 6 possibly 7 panels on the main roof then the same on the other part of the roof..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back