Re-painting kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided I want to re-paint the kitchen rather than strip it out. I've painted many times before but I'm not confident that removing each individual front to the base and wall units to paint them with a mini roller will give a reasonable finish. There is still the cornice to paint and other trims.

So for the first time I'm considering purchasing or hiriing a spray gun. I could potentially remove each front and spray them down in the garden and then remove all the other features and spray these in the same way. Or I could do it all in situ and seal the room up etc.

I need some advice on the best way to go about this and what tools I should be looking to use?

N.B The kitchen itself does not have any special features. It consists of normal base units of varying widths and normal wall units of varying widths, with the exception of two of the fronts which have a decorative glass panel. Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the door type, flat doors are easy to roller [mohair] but if you have contours then spraying will work , but, surfaces need to be grease free and spotless or spraying will look ****e. Can't be sprayed in situ.But could be more expensive than just replacing the doors

Ive painted many kitchens over the years using Dulux Satinwood, oil based, with a brush and they have come out very well. They may take a few coats to cover dark colours but generally look quite good.

Sponsored Links
Yes, oil satinwood is the best product in my opinion too. For kitchen cabinets, Crown Solo was always my go to paint but the last ones I did was several years ago so I can't say if the new formula stuff would turn out as good.
I agree that roller and brush is the most convenient all round method and wouldn't go to the expense of a quality sprayer for painting one set of kitchen units. Also, that grease free tip is essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back