Re-plastering behind double socket

It only says designed according to IEC-1010, CAT II 600V. Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if the cables are made of steel wired braids, but they look like copper. All I could see were two red cables, two black and two green/yellow coming into the socket from the wall. That socket should be a spur, but with two red cables, etc coming into the sockets makes me think each could come out of the two thick black cables perhaps because one of them is sourced at the mains, is connected to that socket to be able to switch the electricity to the garage, perhaps, but I will need to investigate and take some pics to make it clearer.

If I switch off all the switches at the mains control unit, test a portable appliance such as a table lamp by inserting the plug in, then test a second device such as an RCD adapter plug, unscrew the face of the socket, test with the cables with a neon tester (I know, unreliable) and finally with the multimeter, should all that reasonably indicate that there is no power in order to be able to disconnect the cables safely? I will then look behind the socket to find out more about the two thick black cables before taking and sending pics, which would be able to give a better insight. Thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back