Re-pointing required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Would like some advice as to whether this section of my house needs re-pointing - I've taken a couple of pics of the front right corner (from front), also a couple just round the corner from there where the bricks meet the render - the house is 42 years old.

I suspect those holes at the front need filling (What with? I gather I need to be careful about mortar type?), but is re-pointing needed too?

Thanks,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
By the way - apologies the photos aren't the right way round - I had to post in a rush, due to a 2-week old in the house!

Yes it needs repointing, 4 sand to 1 cement, add a bit of febmix.
If you rake/cut out all the joints the pointing will all be the same colour.
Wait until spring or at least until temperatures get above 5%

Yes it needs repointing, 4 sand to 1 cement, add a bit of febmix.
If you rake/cut out all the joints the pointing will all be the same colour.
Wait until spring or at least until temperatures get above 5%

Thanks for the reply. I don't need to worry about lime content/mortar type then, or is that only for much older properties?

Is it worth getting someone in who knows what they are doing, or is it relatively straightforward?

Cheers,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I don't need to worry about lime content/mortar type then, or is that only for much older properties?

You can add a shovel of lime to the mix, but I would have thought your original mix was just sand/cement

Is it just the front that needs re-pointing, or should I be concerned about the brick/render junction also?

Thanks,
Richard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back