re-re-skim coming off....again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we had a wall re-skimmed to fix a previously blown area of skim. However this skim cracked so i scraped off the area and i've had to stop before i take the whole lot off. I can get my scraper behind both skims and its coming off in sheets. I'm exposing the old plaster. Now, do i get another plasterer in to re-skim or can i clean up the old wall and paint that? I'm fed up with all this now. Thanks. Phil

Sponsored Links
Hello, thanks for your reply. The original plaster isn't too bad. We ripped out a built in fireplace and had the chimney breast and the adjacent wall skimmed to make it look nice. I wish i hadn't bothered now. I've scraped off all loose plaster theres not much left! Anyway i've contacted another plaster to take a look. Just a quick question, does it matter if the pva is wet, tacky or dry when the skim is applied? I asked the plasterer who did the work and he said it didn't matter, the pva just seals it. But i was thinking if its dry then surely the skim won't stick to it? Phil

Your original "plasterer" is absolutely WRONG to say you can skim onto dried out PVA. Definitely not,, no way. Always skim onto pva while it's wet/tacky.

Sponsored Links
Like roughcaster says, the pva should be tacky, the best practice seems to be to apply a coat the day before skimming and then another coat on the day of skimming with the plaster being applied when the pva is tacky.

Thanks for your replies. I've got another plaster/builder coming to have a look tomorrow. I'll see what he says. Phil

The new plasterer rang me earlier and hes coming round tomorrow evening. I also asked him about the pva and he said it doesn't really make much difference. He said the problem may be the pva mix or that it set too quickly. The skim was put onto a painted surface which was matt. Is there any truth in what he says about the pva mix or setting too quick? Thanks. Phil

The new plasterer rang me earlier and hes coming round tomorrow evening. I also asked him about the pva and he said it doesn't really make much difference. He said the problem may be the pva mix or that it set too quickly. The skim was put onto a painted surface which was matt. Is there any truth in what he says about the pva mix or setting too quick? Thanks. Phil

sounds like the original guy failed to prepare the wall properly. pva is widely used by most spreads but wba, gypprime and thistle bond it are far superior products. although more costly.

usually a good quality pva is sufficient if applied correctly (but you can get some crap pva), in my opinion the first coat should be allowed to dry then a second coat applied and laid onto when tacky.

I know spreads who only use one thick coat of pva, i prefer the two coat method and when it calls for it i use the wba, gypprime or thistle bond it.

with a history of lack of adhesion to other skim coats and if I was looking at your job i would use either wba or thistle bond it to prep the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back