Re-Rendered house now all cracked and blown Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new here so sorry if posting in wrong forum
Recently brought our council house,
Paid builder to take off rough cast and re- render smooth.
It's now all cracked, blown, and in places big patches falling off.
Builder saying he will come back and put right be so far not returned.
just loads of excuses. as he's busy with other jobs.
So where do i go from here? How long do i give him?

Any help or advise ?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the builder didn't prep the wall properly before applying the new render. Personally I would put the presure on. :evil:
Tell him you are looking into getting a building inspector round to check the work.

Send him a letter, recorded delivery giving him seven days to return to rectify the work. Advise him that if he does not do this, then you will arrange for another builder to rectify the work, and invite him to pay the bill, or else and then issue a County Court claim for the costs of this and your other expenses.

If you go this route, then get three quotes for the work, and choose the best value one. You must minimise your costs. Keep all records, including notes of phone calls and dates times etc

Don't involve the councils building control dept - by all accounts they may then want an application for this type of work :rolleyes:

But if need be, do involve the councils Trading Standards section (Consumer Protection nowadays IIRC) - don't worry, the council depts hardly ever talk between themselves ;)

Sponsored Links
Bob - if the builder is from a 'proper' firm and not a bloke you met in a pub then 'strongly' suggest to him that Trading Standards are next on your phone list. A bona-fide trader's mind will be concentrated once this has been suggested. If he hints that you should go forth and multiply then follow woody's excellent advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back