Re-rendering, planning permission???

8 Jul 2011
Reaction score
West Glamorgan
United Kingdom
Do i need planning permission to have my render removed and re-applied with a pebble dash finish? i'm a few days into hacking off and i have received a letter from the council to say i should have applied for planning permission, I thought i didn't need it, Can anyone give me info please?
Sponsored Links
Is you in a conservation area or living in a listed building blood?
thanks foir the reply. it's just a normal house in a normal street, the letter from the council refers to the "thermal element". As my house has recently had cavity wall insulation, i'm assuming this will cover me? Wish it wasn't friday night so i could call them.
Sponsored Links
Its from a Building Control officer.
The letter states " Building Act 1984 - Building Regulations 2010 Rerender (thermal element)
I would request that you submit an application within 28 days or i will advise the authority to take action under the section 35 of the Building Act 1984. This letter only relates to the Building Act and the Building regulations NOT the Town and County Planning Act, you are advise to contact the Planning Section in respect of their requirements"

I assume a neighbour has contacted them? I am the 5th house in my street to have this work done on my house, i'll be speaking with my next door neighbour who has completed his work on his house only 2 weeks ago to see if he had the same letter?
If you re-render your house Building Regulations deem that you should upgrade the insulation In reality you could ignore the letter, they will not prosecute for such a minor infringement although they will mark it down on your address and it will probably show up when you come to sell. Some (stupid) potential buyers may be put off by this. As you have added cavity wall insulation recently though and presumably can easily prove it you have already fulfilled the requirements of Building Regulations though so frankly you could just pay BC the fee, have them approve it and get your certificate. Up to you really.

BTW there is no reason to assume that a neighbour will have grassed you up, any BC inspector who happened to drive past could have instigated the letter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local