Re-roof in slate, sistering rafters for nice flat roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been in my house for 7 years now and I've renovated the whole place, including a kitchen extension and rear double storey extension. All through building regs.

The roof at the front of the house is not in the best condition with many broken slates which I believe happened when some cowboys converted the loft before I owned it, by braying loads and loads of long nails in the rafters. I have since ripped it all out and done it all correctly inc sistering the joists.

I'd like to re-roof the front with new slate and keep the good slates to then do the rear, which is in much better condition.

I'd like to get the roof to be flat and not sunken and I plan to sister the existing rafters by bolting them in place.

Then purlins and ridge beam are deformed, but I suspect won't move much more, it's 100 years old.

Is this a good method?

DSC_0527.JPG
DSC_0522.JPG

Sponsored Links
If your rafters are in good order then prise them off the purlins when you have stripped the roof then use a string
line to level them up. You will need a bag of 6" galv nails
to refix the rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back