Re: Rotten timber bearer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Was wondering if anyone could advice me.

We live in a 1900 victorian house. The floor joists rest on brick sleeper walls. The sleeper walls have a timber bearer on top (if that makes sense).

The problem I have is that the timber bearer (which the joist rest on) is somewhat rotten in one particular place (30cm).

Question: Any suggestions how I might repair this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a wallplate. Deal with the cause of the rot first.

Renew complete or splice in a new section.

Thanks for that.
I should mention the part the has rot is bridging 2 sleeper walls with nothing underneath (except gas mains pipe).

Could I splice in a new section using a joist plate or is there a better alternative?

Sponsored Links
Jack the floor up (not by loads, just enough to take the load off the plate).
Cut out rotten section- cut at least 150mm away from the rot, ideally halfway between 2 floor joists
Replace with new, treated timber with dpc between it & sleeper wall and shims under joists if needed (better to get the same thickness timber)

Jack the floor up (not by loads, just enough to take the load off the plate).
Cut out rotten section- cut at least 150mm away from the rot, ideally halfway between 2 floor joists
Replace with new, treated timber with dpc between it & sleeper wall and shims under joists if needed (better to get the same thickness timber)

Thank you. Appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back