Re-routing soil stack and fuse box questions...

If the access point is going to be external then you may get away with it, (worry about it if and when you need to!), but if the access point will be internal then be aware, in the event of a problem you could undo the access point and release one unholy mess. Outside is a lot easier to clean up! ;)

Sponsored Links
If the access point is going to be external then you may get away with it, (worry about it if and when you need to!), but if the access point will be internal then be aware, in the event of a problem you could undo the access point and release one unholy mess. Outside is a lot easier to clean up! ;)

Ah, point taken. I'll check at the bungalow next door to see if there's an access point at all. There are no drains in the garden so I wonder if its under the laminate floor indoors?

Cheers,
Adam

If property has been extended (think you said it has!) then always possibility an inspection chamber has been 'buried' under flooring. (One of my pet hates!) Chambers are there for a reason, if neighbours have one then i'd try and identify which way the drains run. (Should run in a straight line between chambers.....)

If it looks like there may be a chamber somewhere under your floor then now may be the time to locate it. It's acceptable to have a cover internally, but must be correct type, with a cover that seals and is screwed down shut. It is a PITA to be called out to a drain problem, where no-one has any idea where the chambers are! Had occasions where a drain is blocked, and with no chambers and no idea where it might go, so we've had to dig, find the drain, then fit a chamber at an appropriate point for future needs. :eek:

If property has been extended (think you said it has!) then always possibility an inspection chamber has been 'buried' under flooring. (One of my pet hates!) Chambers are there for a reason, if neighbours have one then i'd try and identify which way the drains run. (Should run in a straight line between chambers.....)

If it looks like there may be a chamber somewhere under your floor then now may be the time to locate it. It's acceptable to have a cover internally, but must be correct type, with a cover that seals and is screwed down shut. It is a PITA to be called out to a drain problem, where no-one has any idea where the chambers are! Had occasions where a drain is blocked, and with no chambers and no idea where it might go, so we've had to dig, find the drain, then fit a chamber at an appropriate point for future needs. :eek:

We had the kitchen floor up recently and found that the inspection chamber had indeed been latexed over, so no access there.. but there is another one inline out at the side of the bungalow so external access is available, albeit some distance from the kitchen.

Going back to the soil stack though... the pipe in the floor is clay (most likely around 12 years old) and runs away from the house to the direction of the inspection chamber.
I'm still looking to have the stack come out of the floor and go through the wall so it can run up to the attic...
but from researching online it I've seen people talk of the speed of bends, in relation to water outrunning solids and therefore causing blockages.

Apart from installing piping with rodding eyes, is there anything i need to consider when it comes to the angle of the bends?

Cheers,
Ads

Sponsored Links
Blimey, are you still doing that job? :D

Normal practice is to use a long radius 90 ° bend at the foot of the stack, where the stack connects to the horizontal drain run. 90's otherwise in vertical runs are (as said previously) best avoided, using a couple of 45's to 'dog leg' it through the wall as you proposed will be ok. (Bends underground are not allowed unless immediately outside a manhole.)

The rule of thumb for laying underground drains is 1:40 for 4", 1:60 for 6", etc, this is to provide a 'self cleansing velocity' so the water in the drain carries solids with it and doesn't leave them behind. No need to worry about that if you're only altering the vertical run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back