Re-routing the ring main: New circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to break into the down-stairs ring main, and insert a new section, adding about 5 meters length. The new section will have two sockets. I will use 2.5mm cable.

Is this classified a new circuit? Or is it something less? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It's not a new circuit.

It should, nevertheless, be subjected to the normal tests, which will be a problem....

Ok. If I want to cut my costs down easiest thing to do, would be to chase out the channel for the wire, fix the metal back boxes, buy the sockets and the wire, and simply let an electrician do the wiring and the testing. Well, I might be able to do the wiring myself, but in that case I think it would be a matter of inspecting and testing that needs to be certified. I suppose though, most electricians would at least want to make some income on doing the wiring as well as the testing. No idea actually what costs would be.

Last edited:
Get one on board first, if he/she is happy for you to do the donkey work, you'll save a few quid.

Unless you're buying 100m of cable, I wouldn't bother getting that, if the spark is happy for you to first fix the cabling, get him to leave you enough to do it. You'll want him to pop round to make sure you and he are happy with what you're going to do

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back